October 4, 2009

Episode 4: Grease

Grease is the word
It's got groove, it's got meaning
Grease is the time, is the place, is the motion
Grease is the way we are feeling

—Barry Gibb, 1978


Beautiful lyric (or poem) by one of my all time favorite song writers, Mr. Barry Gibb. And although I am not quite sure what in the hell he is actually talking about in the song, the song's gorgeous melody, lyric and chorus seems to be playing through my mind all this week.


Why? Because Greece is the word.

Last week, Sarah and I spent a dreamlike vacation in Athens and a tiny little beautiful island called Santorini. We were a little undecided as to which island to visit while in Greece, because there's quite a few to choose from. But after visiting Santorini, we both think we made the right choice. The Red and Black Beaches and huge cliffs were outer worldly and a feast for the human eye. I mean really, most of the time we just got our kicks out of riding around the island on our little red ATV that Sarah and I lovingly named Lawnie (short for lawn mower) just taking it all in...slow. Real slow.


Oh and Athens was gorgeous, too. Lots of history and charm all around. The Acropolis, and mainly the Parthenon has always been a dream spot for me to visit ever since I took a couple of art history courses during my first year of college and learned a lot about ancient Greek art. And just like the Eiffel Tower, Grand Canyon, English castles and...(clears throat) New York City, seeing it in person did not disappoint me one bit. As a matter of fact, as soon as I climbed the stairs and the Parthenon was in plain sight, a little teardrop fell from eye.

Shh. Don't tell anyone. Gotta keep up my celebrity image here, right?

Anyway, I could write a dozen or so paragraphs telling you all about our 5 day getaway, but it would probably bore you to death. So instead, I included a picture gallery with captions of our trip:


But be warned, though. I took a total of 1,000 pictures and trimmed them down to about 200 for our short computer aged attention spans. So do keep that in mind if you think 200 is way too much.



Besides, our lovely Greece getaway, Sarah and I have been pretty much enjoying life in Bulgaria together, even if we only see each other in the late wee night hours. If that!


You see lately we unfortunately have not been afforded much time to spend together, due to both of our hectic work schedules. Me, filming that zombie movie I'd been telling you about and she, traveling for work most days. And to make matters worst, when I am doing "night shots" on the film," we sometimes miss each other all together. Nevertheless, I'll be done filming soon, and she'll be done traveling for the moment.

On a nicer note, this upcoming week, we are both eagerly awaiting the arrival of our friend Steve Smith from back home. After he does Turkey, We plan to take him around Bulgaria. And not just to the bars! Should have a bunch of stories for you all to feast on after his visit.

Ain't that right, Bunks?

Anyway, I'll have to keep this week's post short, need to answer long over due emails and comments from Week 3's blog and so forth. Speaking of, please forgive my late replies, you would not believe how busy it gets filming a movie. And although I am really enjoying the experience and perks and living a real life dream come true, it does make me wonder why one stays in the movie making business. But I'll bet after I am done, I'll be yearning for more! What?!?

As for another update on my substitute teaching gig, I still have not been called in, yet. But that's a good thing for me right now, because I could never make the time while filming.

And I know you all are eagerly awaiting my personal review of the long awaited Beatles Remasters that I finally received through the mail. So I only got two words to say about them that should some it all up plain and simple for you.

Real Good!

So good that I am looking forward to hearing the now out of print Mono Set that my brother Thad is holding for me back home. Ha! That set is way too rare to have sent through the Bulgarian mail system so I decided to just have it sent to his place for safe keeping. And while I am praising the good ol' folks over at Apple Corps for doing such a magnificent job, I will say that running out and buying these are not for everyone. Only the serious and stupid, idiotic fans like me will get their kicks out this release. The newly heard instruments and vocal subtleties and channel changes in these remasters would mean nothing to the general listener.

Okay, I'm closing this one for someone special in my life. And folks who know me real well, know that I don't usually get all goo-goo-ga-ga-mushy and showing PDA unnecessarily. But this time, this one's for you, my Sarah.



here comes the last of the great romantics

faithful and true, believing in you
regardless of the things you do

here comes the last of the great romantics

feet planted wide, defying the tide.
Come on Gatsby, stand aside.

People see me walking down the street,
and I hear them saying "here he comes.
That boy makes a banquet from a table of crumbs.
He hears romantic music in unanswered phones,
in the angry slamming of a door.
And the girl he is mad about doesn't care anymore."

Here comes the last of the great romantics

defying the tide.
Come on Gatsby, stand aside.

Here comes the last of the great romantics

not foolish, not grande...taking a stand
(out of touch) no! In command.

So people never ridicule a lovesick fool
or say he's only carrying a torch.
In his hands it's a flame-thrower
and his judgement is scorched.

Here comes the last of the great romantics

not tortured, not racked, illusions intact
undiscouraged by the facts.

Here comes the last of the great romantics

defying the tide.
Come on Gatsby, stand aside.

Here comes the last of the great romantics.

—Paddy McAloon, 2009


That's all for now, folks. So until Week 5...

Be seeing you.

O

2 comments: