September 7, 2009

Episode 1: Brave & Strong

Frightened faces

to the wall.

Oh, can’t you hear

your mama call?

The brave and

strong survive!

When you walk

know where

you’re walking.

When you talk.

The brave and

strong survive!


— Sly Stone, 1971



Yeah, I think I pretty much survived my first week living in a foreign country.


How do I feel?


Well, Sarah and my good friend Rachel summed it up perfectly. They called me brave to want to go live abroad. So yeah, I feel kinda Brave & Strong.


The first day of travel was pretty scary. And, surprisingly, it wasn’t because of the English or Bulgarian airport authorities. It was the good ol’ folks back home at Dulles International. Yeah, the pleasant lady almost didn’t allow me through. My boy Joey was there to help me stay somewhat calm. Although he seemed to have enjoyed seeing me sweat the entire time.



Eventually, and big thanks to Sarah, I quickly showed them a return ticket to Greece and after resizing a few bags and paying a $70 dollar fine for one over-sized one mostly caused by the smuggling of all 6 seasons of The Benny Hill Show, I was allowed to pass through. But after that, it had me on alert mode for the entire trip. I never felt so nervous in my entire life. Okay, well, that time when I was sent to the principle’s office for arm-farting when I was 6 is a runner-up. But this time it was serious. I eventually found a new copy of the latest MOJO magazine with the Beatles gracing the cover. It relaxed me a bit.



In all, my flight to Sophia seemed like it took a day. And in way--it was literally a whole days trip. I mean, well, you lose a day when traveling that far. In other words, I left on a Thursday night and arrived on Friday night.


When I finally arrived to my new home, I got really ill. I broke out in a crazy rash all over my body. I think it was either from the arctic temperatures on the flight to London or the combination of a change in body temperature and reaction from taking the antibiotics I’d been prescribed. And to make matters worst, I’d been studying lines for a possible part in a zombie movie of all things and had an audition scheduled for Saturday!


Yeah, I said zombie movie.


Lately, I am finding that no one believes me. Possibly because I am huge zombie and horror movie fan in general. So for me to have a audition lined up for a part in a zombie movie just right out of the blue, does sound a bit far out. But it’s true. I did, I really did audition for the part of a truck driver for an upcoming American zombie movie! And I think the casting director liked me. Well, she liked everything except for my gazing into the camera every once in a while. I guess I got possessed by the ghost of Mr. Roper.


After the audition we rushed off to see my big birthday gift I'd been waiting for months to see! Madonna Live! And despite techno-like versions of her hits and no Borderline (one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time) performance, the show was excellent! And wow, she looked and sounded amazing! At times she would come out jumping rope or something aerobic to remind us just how great shape she is in at age 51! And, as a special added treat, for me, and even the crowd it seemed, she pretty much dedicated the entire night to the memory of her fallen brother, Michael Jackson on what would have been his 51st Birthday. She also made sure the crowd knew that what she said about Europe's treatment of the Roma was no fluke, she repeated it in song and invited Roma dancers and singers on stage with her. It was a proud moment for Sarah and her crusade to aid the Roma.


Anyway, after the party was over, I got all fixed up at the doctor's office with a couple pills and a strict diet he prescribed of no sunshine, soap, water, citrus fruit, chocolate or meat and within 2 days, the awful rash was gone like it was never there! Speaking of change in habits, particularly foods, one I'd been thinking about this for sometime, is becoming a vegetarian. Now I'm sure. I've become a full fl edge vegetarian! ha! So far, I'm loving it. But how long will it last? Let's put it this way, that Macky D's on the corner of Vitosha looks prettier and prettier each and every time I pass by it.



























On an unfortunate note, with all of my illnesses, Sarah and I had to cancel our trip to northern Greek beaches (Halkidiki) because we were not sure if I'd be healthy in time to go. So instead, we ended up taking a road trip to the Black Sea over the past weekend. I'd missed my opportunity to go there the last 4 times I visited Bulgaria, so now I finally got my chance to go and it was awesome and lived up to Sarah's hype! Here's pictures from the trip for your enjoyment:


http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=933795788805%3A1035417555&cm_mmc=site_email-_-new_site_share-_-core-_-View_photos_button


We rented a Volvo but it had no USB port to hook up my iPod. Damn. Damn. Damn, it was tough at times, because Bulgarian radio is pretty bad. We did manage to find a radio station that fazed in out of 80's pop hits. Plenty of Michael Bolton to throw up to. But boy I must admit, I never thought I'd see the day when I was happy to see restaurants like KFC and Shell gas station on the road sides and hear some Michael Bolton on the radio! Trust me, his constipated voice never sounded better when that's all you have to remind you of home, you have no choice but to appreciate the little things.



It's only been about a week, but I miss you all blind. But I am really happy and truly enjoying life here in Bulgaria with Sarah. Everyday there's something new and challenging to look forward to. I recently landed a substitute teaching job at the American School of Sophia. I really like the principle and vice principle who interviewed me. And although the student body look at me as if I were a "celebrity," they seem chill and easy going. So I am looking forward to my first day of work and getting away from being the house boyfriend for a minute or two.



Speaking of work, sadly, I have yet to find the inspiration I need to start a new painting/drawing series, but the urge and hunger is there, which is a good thing considering I thought I'd lose the creative spirit within me being in a new environment. I am also looking forward to running, again. But due to my "celebrity" status here, I have to change my routine and do it early in morning or late in the midnight hours where I won't draw too much attention to myself. Now that's even scrapped, because of recent news reports as of late of an American girl getting mauled to death at night by a pack of wild stray dogs in the park that I'd intended to run in. It's worrying me just a tiny bit.


As for music, I have yet to find a good CD store here. But so far my needs are all met with the recent burnings of my entire catalog of CDs before I left home, making my iTunes count at a solid 35,000 songs. That's about 92 days of music! Ha! Now I am just eagerly waiting for the arrival of the new Beatles Remasters and the new Prefab Sprout album.


Okay, I am signing off for now. But stay tuned for Week 2.


Be seeing you.


O




3 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the trip, Owen.

    -Rob A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching English to Bulgarians, hmm... Can't wait til "biscuithead" becomes the next big Bulgarian catchphrase.

    Andrei: You are being biscuithead, hahaha!

    Yanko: No, you are biscuithead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Blog, you are an interesting "kid," my type of young man, almost European.
    Let's stay in touch and learn from each other, Annemarie from Mannheim,Germany, now 7 km away from hell, desert in Arizona, also called Chandler. Can we WIMBA now?:-)

    ReplyDelete